Saturday, August 28, 2010

re-framing my "free time"



usually on days when i have childcare i spend most of my day grocery shopping, running errands or working. running around all over dallas until the 6 hours of "free time" i've had feels
like a mere hour and i'm even more tired than when i started the day. recently, in talking with my therapist, i realized that i should occasionally use this precious time to do something that
fuels me. something that makes me more of who i am and gets my juices flowing!

last month, on one such day i decided to go to the arts district down town and visit the nasher
sculpture center. once i made the decision to go i was eagerly awaiting my visit as i had never
been and heard so much about this asset to the district.

i walked in and immediately took in the cool air that hit my face and the silence that surrounded me. only on rare occasions do i get to experience silence. i purchased my ticket and began my untimed wandering around the center.

it was so refreshing to be in the presence of beautiful art while actually have the time to take it in and let it move me. there were quite a few things that i really wanted to photograph to share, but those exhibits were not allowing photography.

one beautiful and serene element to the center is the sculpture garden. after exploring all the indoor exhibits had to offer i ventured out into the garden. i was first struck by a metal sculpture that i was actually able to snap a picture of! here are a couple that i took:


to the right of this sculpture was a water feature. i am always drawn to water so i snapped a few pics of this particular fountain. there were a few in the garden and i took pics of them too!

here are a few more pictures of things i saw in the garden. i was moved by the woman, sitting with her head on her arms as it expressed my feelings that day precisely. my favorites were either the bird wood sculpture or the metal "rush hour" seen at the first here:







after going to the nasher i overheard the cashier saying that the DMA had free admission on this day of the month! LUCKY ME! since i had reserved a decent amount of time to see everything i wanted to see at the nasher, i had plenty of time to walk next door to the DMA. Here are pictures of things i saw. I was SUPREMELY drawn to an artist they have on exhibit now, Luc Tuymans. I still think of a book i should have gotten while i was there featuring his work. I did get to see a Monet, a few other paintings i felt particularly drawn to and these amazing mosaics from something like 2B.C. fascinating!







what a wonderful day i had exploring art, sculptures and enjoying the quiet of a museum as well as spending some quality time outdoors. i can guarantee this will become a regular occurrence in my life. i felt rejuvenated after taking time to do something that i am passionate about and not just running around like an errand service employee.

i hope you all are inspired and take time out in your day to do something that reminds you of the things that stimulate your mind and awaken your interests.





signature

No comments: